SK4553 : Church of St Helen, Selston

taken 5 years ago, near to Selston, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

Church of St Helen, Selston
Church of St Helen, Selston
South aisle arcade, looking through into the nave.
Church of St Helen, Selston
The church consists of nave and chancel with north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. A modern community facility was added to the north side in 2011. The external aspect of the church is principally determined by the 19th and 20th century restorations, only the tower and porch remaining relatively original. The north aisle was built in 1905, replacing an earlier aisle as indicated by the late 12th century arcade.

The 'restored' external impression is not continued inside. On entering from the south door, there is an immediate impact from the Norman aisle arcades. The northern arcade is the earlier, of 4 semi-circular arches dating probably from the late 12th century, with interesting waterleaf and gargoyle capitals. The south arcade is slightly later 13th century, more Transitional in style with plain moulded capitals but still with round columns and round arches. The columns of the two arcades are not aligned with each other across the nave. Above the arcades are a series of grotesque corbels which would have supported the earlier roof beams.

The chancel arch and the arcades between chancel and aisles are also of similar period, with semicircular arches. Fenestration throughout dates from the various restorations, in a mixture of 13th and 15th century styles.

The tower is late 14th century, in Perpendicular style. The south porch is 13th century, in Early English style, the south door being slightly earlier, still displaying a semicircular arch of 3 plain orders.

Of interior fittings, only three significant items predate the 19th century restorations. These are the font, the Willoughby Monument and the royal coat of arms. The font is Norman in origin and has had a varied history. Removed from the church during the Commonwealth period, it was used as a drinking trough and a butchers' whetstone before being rescued from a local pub by the then Vicar, the Rev. Charles Harrison, in the early 20th century. The Willoughby Monument is a fine piece of early 17th century work consisting of a chest tomb with the effigies of William Willoughby (d.1630) and his wife Elizabeth, surmounted by a pillared half canopy in classical Jacobean style, topped with the family coat of arms. The royal coat of arms is undated but is recorded as dating from 1815. It is hung above the north aisle arcade.

The church is Listed Grade II*. For more information about the church see the Southwell & Nottingham Church History Project LinkExternal link .
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK4553, 28 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 30 November, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 2 December, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Interior 
Period (from Tags)
13th Century 
Style (from Tags)
Transitional 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4583 5330 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:4.4983N 1:19.0426W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 4583 5330
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Grade II(star) Listed Building  Aisle Arcade 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 31 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register