TQ4655 : Memorial to Sir Robert Heath, St Martin's church, Brasted

taken 5 years ago, near to Brasted, Kent, Great Britain

Memorial to Sir Robert Heath, St Martin's church, Brasted
Memorial to Sir Robert Heath, St Martin's church, Brasted
Sir Robert Heath (1575-1649) was a barrister at the Inner Temple in 1603, and was elected MP for the City of London in 1621, when he was knighted.
He became Attotney general and Chief justice in 1641. Eventually he fled to France at the time of Cromwell.

He married Margaret Miller in 1600 and they had six sons and three daughters.

Heath notionally founded both North Carolina and South Carolina.
St Martin's church, Brasted

Grade II*listed

There was a Saxon church on this site from before the Conquest, and the church is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086. The replacement of the Saxon church began early in the 13th century, starting at the east end, and the upper stages of the tower completed by the late 14th century.

The church consists of north and south aisles with north and south transepts, nave, chancel,vestry, and the western tower.
The tower is of three stages the lowest is from the late 12th century. It is possible that further building was envisaged such as a spire. The tower is heavily buttressed, there being seven buttresses, the western buttresses has an archway with the original 13th century doorway at the bottom.
There are eight bells.

Over time, the church was enlarged and a north Chapel was added by Simon de Stocket, owner of Brasted Place, during the reign of Edward I. The Chapel contains a Memorial to Sir Robert Heath who died in 1649.

In the 19th C. the church had fallen into a state of disrepair, and in 1865 architect Alfred Waterhouse was engaged to rebuild the church. It was considerably enlarged, the walls being entirely rebuilt.

In 1944 the church was severely damaged by a flying bomb. The chancel walls were cracked, most of the tiles blew off the roof and all the glass in the windows was destroyed. There was also a succession of subsidences which followed, and it was about 10 years before all the damage was repaired.

In 1989 there was a severe fire in the church which started in the south east corner and totally gutted that area of the church, destroying the organ, chancel furnishings and several windows as well as most of the roof. The Stocket Chapel was less severely affected.
The church was rebuilt in 1991 and the opportunity was taken to make some improvements in the layout. Some fabric from the old church was reused. A clerestory with circular windows was added, bringing more light to the interior. A kitchen and cloakroom were added and the pews were rearranged.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ4655, 76 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 26 December, 2014   (more nearby)
Monday, 29 December, 2014
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Martins 
Place (from Tags)
Primary Subject of Photo
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 4685 5548 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:16.7725N 0:6.2472E
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 133 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register