2014
SJ9398 : Footpath off Stockport Road
taken 10 years ago, near to Ashton-Under-Lyne, Tameside, England
Footpath off Stockport Road
Junction Mill Chimney
The octagonal chimney, 210 feet (64m) high with an unusual tulip-shaped top was built in 1867 to serve Samuel Heginbottom's cotton-spinning mill which operated from 1831 to 1930. The mill itself was eventually demolished and replaced in recent years with canalside apartments called "Boatmans Walk". In 2000 the chimney was bought by Tameside Council and restored.