SE6051 : St Martin window, St Martin le Grande church, York

taken 5 years ago, near to York, Great Britain

St Martin window, St Martin le Grande church, York
St Martin window, St Martin le Grande church, York
This large window (9m)has five lights and 20 tracery compartments, with a large figure of Saint Martin of Tours (316 - 397) and 13 scenes from his life. The window was given by Robert Semer in 1437, he is seen kneeling at the base.
It was originally located at the west end of the church and removed for safety in 1940.

Across the top of the second row of panels is a Latin inscription which reads:
"Pray for the soul of Sir Robert Semer, sometime Minister of this church and Chamberlain of the chapter of York, who, as he was an old man, seeing that the end of his life was naturally approaching, preordained and built this work, the seventh day of the month of October A.D. 1437, for whose soul may God be propitiated."

This is a high resolution image of the entire window.
St Martin le Grand church, York
Grade II* listed.

The church dates from the 11th C. although little of this is left. The tower and old part of the church is 15th C.
In mediaeval York, Coney Street was occupied by wealthy merchants, and St Martin's was one of the more important parish churches within the city.
Originally there was a five bay arcade to the south aisle which was converted to the nave after the church was bombed in 1942. The church lay in ruins and was not rededicated until 1968. The original nave and north aisle were left open as a courtyard.
It is dominated by a large 15th C window in the north wall which was originally the great west window. It was removed in 1940 and thus survived the destruction. The window was given in 1437 by Robert Semer, vicar 1425 - 1443. He was also responsible for a major rebuilding of the church.

The south wall of the church survived the destruction, but the north wall is a modern reconstruction and holds various monuments salvaged from the church. One is a monument to Sir William Sheffield who died in 1633. There is also a small brass, an effigy of Christopher Harrington who died in 1614 which was salvaged from the bombed church.
The south wall contains some original mediaeval glass and the east window depicts the church engulfed in flames by Harry stammers from 1968. The 19th century glass is by J.W. Knowles

The organ was built in 1967 and was presented by the people of Germany. This unique instrument is suspended from the ceiling in a glass case.

Outside the church on Coney Street there is a large clock surmounted by a small figure known as the "Little Admiral".

The church is now dedicated to peace and reconciliation.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE6051, 2291 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 7 February, 2015   (more nearby)
Monday, 16 February, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Church (from Tags)
St Martins 
Primary Subject of Photo
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 6016 5185 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:57.5549N 1:5.0772W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
Medieval Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 32 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register