SE6051 : Detail, Stained glass window, s.V, St Michael's Spurriergate, York

taken 7 years ago, near to York, Great Britain

Detail, Stained glass window, s.V, St Michael's Spurriergate, York
Detail, Stained glass window, s.V, St Michael's Spurriergate, York
15th C glass.
The left light tracery contains heads and other fragments, below is:
(4b) sainted bishop or archbishop with inscription 'S(an)c(tu)s [A]mbrosius', small figure on left, open book on altar on right.
(3b) Noah building the Ark.
(2b) made-up scene with king, possibly Herod, and donor-figure, also armed figure of mid 14th-century date.
(1b) St. Margaret slaying the dragon, with scroll 'S(an)c(t)a margare[ta]' and kneeling donor-figure.

In the right hand light, tracery shows a lamb and fragments, below is:
(4c) St. John the Baptist with donor.
(3c) Drunkenness of Noah.
(2c) King and queen seated against tapestry curtain, both richly dressed and with bare feet.
(1c) Unidentified scene of young saint with two attendants kneeling before two bearded saints, one seated on throne.

Note: The outer two lights (a and d) have been cropped in this image.
St Michael, Spurriergate, York


Grade I listed
A church existed on the site before the conquest, and the earliest part of the building is 12th century - the nave arcades, when they were probably five bays in length.
The north aisle was widened in the 14th century, probably when a Chantry to the Blessed Virgin Mary was added.
In the 15th C. the arcades were raised and a clerestory was added, although that has now gone. The south aisle was widened and the west tower built.
The church is of a square plan with a fairly narrow nave with broad north and south aisles and a low western tower with six bells, one dating from 1466, the oldest bell in York. There is a fine 18th-century reredos with altar rails. There are/were several brasses.

The church possesses much stained-glass from the first half of the 15th century which has been restored and rearranged after the Second World War. All tracery lights have clear glass. Some windows have roundels with geometric patterns from the early 19th century.
In 1821 the church was reduced in size to allow Street widening with extensive rebuilding.
In 1966 the tower was reduced in height and most of the seating removed.

The church became redundant in the 1970's, and has been used as a Christian centre/cafe since 1989.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE6051, 2817 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 7 February, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 19 February, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Michaels 
Place (from Tags)
York 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 6029 5169 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:57.4677N 1:4.9602W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Medieval Stained Glass 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 42 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register