SE6051 : Detail, Stained glass window, sII, St Michael's Spurriergate, York

taken 7 years ago, near to York, Great Britain

Detail, Stained glass window, sII, St Michael's Spurriergate, York
Detail, Stained glass window, sII, St Michael's Spurriergate, York
Early 15th C glass depicting:

Left hand light:
(5b) Coronation of the Virgin.
(2b4b) large figure of St. John the Baptist.
(1b) The angel appearing to Zacharias.

In the right hand light:
(5c) Coronation of the Virgin.
(2c4c) figure (The "Woman Clothed with the Sun and with the moon under her feet" with the "Manchild" in the Book of Revelation) in a rayed mandorla (with jewelled glass) under the inscription 'cecidisti de c(a)elo Lucifer corruisti qui vuln(er)abas' (How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, who didst wound the fallen). Beneath the mandorla, two devils and an angel.
(1c) The prophet Amos with scroll 'Qui (a)edificat in c(a)elo ascensione(m) suam'(He that buildeth his ascension in heaven).

St Michael, Spurriergate, York


Grade I listed
A church existed on the site before the conquest, and the earliest part of the building is 12th century - the nave arcades, when they were probably five bays in length.
The north aisle was widened in the 14th century, probably when a Chantry to the Blessed Virgin Mary was added.
In the 15th C. the arcades were raised and a clerestory was added, although that has now gone. The south aisle was widened and the west tower built.
The church is of a square plan with a fairly narrow nave with broad north and south aisles and a low western tower with six bells, one dating from 1466, the oldest bell in York. There is a fine 18th-century reredos with altar rails. There are/were several brasses.

The church possesses much stained-glass from the first half of the 15th century which has been restored and rearranged after the Second World War. All tracery lights have clear glass. Some windows have roundels with geometric patterns from the early 19th century.
In 1821 the church was reduced in size to allow Street widening with extensive rebuilding.
In 1966 the tower was reduced in height and most of the seating removed.

The church became redundant in the 1970's, and has been used as a Christian centre/cafe since 1989.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE6051, 2818 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 7 February, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 19 February, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Place (from Tags)
York 
Church (from Tags)
St Michaels 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 6029 5169 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:57.4677N 1:4.9602W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Medieval Stained Glass  Spurriergate 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 43 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register