2015

NY0337 : Senhouse Roman Museum, Maryport

taken 9 years ago, near to Maryport, Cumbria, England

Senhouse Roman Museum, Maryport
Senhouse Roman Museum, Maryport
The collection was started in 1570 by John Senhouse, Lord of the Manor of Ellenborough.In the eighteenth century Colonel Humphrey Senhouse employed a man to preserve and record any carved stonework brought to light during the wholesale removal of much of the Roman Fort to provide building stone for the new town of Maryport. The collection is now housed in the building known as the Battery (a Royal Naval Artillery Volunteer Drill Hall built in 1885 to train naval gunners. The observation tower (seen in the distance in the photograph) gives a view of the full extent of the site. LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Rogerson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Historic sites and artefacts
This photo is linked from: Articles: · WW1 Great War Centenary - Drill Halls Automatic Clusters: · Senhouse Museum [13] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NY0337, 52 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Richard Rogerson   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 20 January, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 1 March, 2015
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 0375 3727 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:43.2710N 3:29.7501W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 0376 3721
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 41 times
You are not logged in login | register