SD8432 : Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Burnley

taken 5 years ago, near to Burnley, Lancashire, Great Britain

Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Burnley
Leeds and Liverpool Canal, Burnley
The Burnley Embankment, known locally as "The Straight Mile", carries The Leeds and Liverpool Canal 60ft above the town.

When the canal was being built here at the end of the eighteenth century, Robert Whitworth, the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Company Engineer decided that an embankment, almost a mile long and up to sixty feet high, straight to the opposite hillside should be built rather than having the canal take a long detour following the contours around the valley, Although it was costly to construct, it meant the valley could be traversed by the canal without the need for two systems of locks.

The embankment was constructed between 1796 and 1801, by an army of navvies using spoil brought by boat from the canal cutting to the north of Burnley and some of the excavations from the construction of the nearby Gannow Tunnel. Heavy clay was used to line the bed of the canal to stop the water leaking out. Nowadays, concrete would be used.

The embankment, an innovative solution to the problems of canal engineering in its time, remains an impressive construction today. It is widely regarded as one of the "seven wonders" of the British Waterway System LinkExternal link .
Leeds and Liverpool Canal :: SD8842
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal is the longest canal in Northern England at 127 miles long. The first of the trans-Pennine canals it took 46 years to build at a cost of five times the original budget, mainly because of the length and complexity of the route. It passes through 91 locks with a summit level of 487 feet at Foulridge near Nelson and Colne. It was originally conceived in the 18th century to carry woollen goods from Leeds and Bradford and limestone from Skipton but in its 19th century heyday it carried stone, coal and many other goods. The impact of the railways was not as great as with other canals and commercial traffic continued along the main canal until 1964. Regular work stopped in 1972 when the movement of coal to Wigan Power Station ceased. In the latter part of the 20th century the leisure potential of the canal was developed and it is now a popular destination for cruising, fishing, walking and cycling. See LinkExternal link for detailed information.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD8432, 370 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 20 March, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 22 March, 2015
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Paths  City, Town centre  Canals 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic Lumix TZ60 
Canal (from Tags)
Leeds and Liverpool 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 845 327 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:47.4661N 2:14.1692W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 845 328
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 33 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register