SE1337 : Victoria Hall (formerly Saltaire Institute)

taken 7 years ago, near to Saltaire, Bradford, Great Britain

Victoria Hall (formerly Saltaire Institute)
Victoria Hall (formerly Saltaire Institute)
Like the other main buildings in the village, Victoria Hall (originally the Saltaire Institute), was built for Titus Salt by local architects Henry Lockwood and Richard Mawson. Erected between 1867 and 1871, the impressive building contained a main hall with seating for 800, a lecture room, two art rooms, a laboratory, a gymnasium, a library and a reading room.

The building, which is set back from Victoria Road, has a symmetrical, eleven-bay Italianate facade. It also has an elaborate square tower with pyramidal ashlar roof. The tympanum has a cartouche bearing the Salt family coat of arms, flanked by the carved figures of Art and Science by Thomas Milnes

There is a gardened square outside, bounded by a dwarf wall. At the front corners, on large square bases, are 2 sculpted lions, by Thomas Milnes of London, representing War and Peace. They sit opposite a matching pair in front of the school (SE1337 : Shipley College, Salt Building (formerly Saltaire School)), which represent ‘Determination’ and ‘Vigilance’.

Now known as Victoria Hall, now functions as a rather grand Village Hall providing meeting rooms, which are used by the community for a variety of social uses and is licensed to conduct marriages. It is owned by the Salts Foundation and leased on a peppercorn rent to the City of Bradford Metropolitan District Council. The basement floor is sub-let to Shipley College, the ground floor housed in one room a world renowned reed organ and harmonium museum with examples of the instruments from all over the globe, but this closed in 2011. The other rooms on the ground floor and first floor are rented out for weddings, meetings and performances.

Victoria hall/Saltaire Institute is a Grade II* listed building (English Heritage Building ID: 337542 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

See also:
SE1337 : Sandstone Lion "Peace" outside Saltaire Institute
SE1337 : Sandstone Lion "War" outside Saltaire Institute
Saltaire Village, World Heritage Site

Saltaire is a Victorian model village on the outskirts of Bradford, by the River Aire and the Leeds and Liverpool Canal The village takes its name from Titus Salt, a Victorian textile magnate and philanthropist who built a mill and a village to house his workers.

In December 2001, Saltaire was designated a World Heritage Site by UNESCO (LinkExternal link for a site plan of Saltaire showing the overall layout and the boundaries of the UNESCO World Heritage Site). The vast majority of buildings in the village have been individually designated as listed buildings by English Heritage.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE1337, 503 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 25 March, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 29 March, 2015
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Public buildings and spaces  Educational sites 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G3 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 139 378 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:50.2247N 1:47.3791W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 139 378
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 227 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
Background for photo viewing: White / /
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register