2015

SN7787 : Sluice and water abstraction point

taken 9 years ago, near to Bryn y Beddau [other Features], Ceredigion, Great Britain

Sluice and water abstraction point
Sluice and water abstraction point
The massive concrete structure is a former sluice in the Maesnant. It no longer has a gate and isn't in use any more. The sluice is listed in the Coflein database LinkExternal link but without any further detail on its history.

The section of Maesnant upstream of the sluice has been the subject of very detailed studies on soil piping over many years. Soil piping is a mechanism by which water is transported in fluctuating underground channels near surface streams, particularly during spells of very wet weather. While not fixed in position, pipes tend to be located at the boundary between the mineral and peat layers. Because of the extent of research done at this site, Maesnant is one of the reference sites of the Geological Conservation Review LinkExternal link .

Just downstream, by the stream gauge and above the barrier with the V-shaped cutout, is an abstraction point (under the manhole cover on the right) where water is diverted into the raw water pipeline from Llyn Llygad Rheidol Link . This is still in use and adds to north Ceredigion's drinking water supply.

North Ceredigion is supplied with drinking water through the water works at Bont-goch SN6886, which are fed with raw water from the Llyn Llygad Rheidol Link and Llyn Craig-y-pistyll Link reservoirs. The supply is supplemented by stream abstractions from the Maesnant (shown here) and the Nant y Moch Link as well as two groundwater bore holes near Lovesgrove SN6281.

Llyn Llygad Rheidol is a natural lake in a glacial hollow on the north face of Pumlumon Fawr which has been dammed to increase capacity. Aberystwyth Town Council, then responsible for water supply to the town, built a 16-mile pipeline to transport untreated water from Llyn Llygad Rheidol directly to Aberystwyth in the 1870s.

The separate Aberystwyth Rural District Council, serving the villages of north Ceredigion, took a water supply from the Afon Leri, regulated by their dam at Llyn Craig-y-pistyll. They also built the treatment works at Bont-goch in 1939.

The two local authorities had begun to make joint plans when the responsibility for the water supply was transferred to the new Cardiganshire Water Board in 1962. In 1967, the water board built a new pipeline connecting the two reservoirs, siphoned around the base of the Nant-y-moch hydroelectric reservoir, which had been built between 1957 and 1961. This new pipeline replaced the old direct one to Aberystwyth to allow processing of all drinking water at Bont-goch. LinkExternal link

The water from the two small reservoirs is generally sufficient to supply the needs of north Ceredigion. Dŵr Cymru, the publicly owned water company now in charge of water supply to the area, has a drought plan which establishes that the supply would be topped up by transfers from Nant-y-moch directly into the pipeline linking the two drinking water reservoirs using a temporary installation during a severe drought LinkExternal link . This has not been necessary to date.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rudi Winter and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SN7787, 122 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Rudi Winter   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 March, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 30 March, 2015
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SN 778 876 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:28.3621N 3:48.0295W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SN 778 876
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 271 times
You are not logged in login | register