SK6929 : Church of St Luke, Hickling

taken 4 years ago, near to Hickling, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

Church of St Luke, Hickling
Church of St Luke, Hickling
The Vaux tombstone. The rough top surface shows where the effigy was removed.
Church of St Luke, Hickling
The church is very straightforward in form, consisting of western tower, nave and chancel with north and south aisles to the nave and a south porch. The nave and south aisle are of 14th century origin, but the remainder of the church is the result of mainly 19th century restoration. This includes the west tower (1873) and chancel (1845). The original tower was a wooden structure. The low clerestory and the porch are 15th century.

The interior is very plain, the 14th century aisle arcades and chancel arch in Early English style being free of decoration. Although the roof was considerably rebuilt in the late 19th century, to a much flatter profile than before, much of the timber was reused and is certainly of medieval origin, with some timbers showing remains of medieval painted decoration.

Interior fittings of note include a late 14th century font, much restored during the 16th century, a small piscina in the south wall of the south aisle and a 17th century carved oak poor box. In the chancel are a pair of benches with 14th century poppy head ends.

The chancel contains a number of interesting monuments. Most important of these is the Anglo-Saxon stone cross slab, ornately carved with typical Celtic knot designs with animal figures, probably 10th century in origin. On the opposite of the chancel is the Vaux tombstone, discovered in the churchyard in 1983, being moved inside the church following restoration in the early 20th century. It was carved around 1600 and would originally have had an effigy on top. It retains a Latin inscription indicating that it came from the tomb of William Harrowden. He was a descendant of the Vaux family, a prominent local family.

Centrally in the chancel is the brass memorial to Ralph Babington, rector of the parish 1515 to 1521, and dates from the latter year. It is one of only two such ecclesiastical brasses in the whole of Nottinghamshire and is important as a result. It consists of a depiction of Ralph in priestly robes with a scroll quotation in Latin from the bible at his head. This is surmounted by a rectangular plate outlining his descent and the work done to improve the church during his tenure. Above this again are two shields depicting the coats of arms of the Babyngton and Fitzherbert families.

Also in the chancel floor are two stone gravestones commemorating clergy of the parish, of early 18th century date.

The church is Listed Grade I.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK6929, 150 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 30 March, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 9 April, 2015
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Gravestone 
Period (from Tags)
Late 16th Century 
Building Material (from Tags)
Limestone 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6919 2927 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:51.3892N 0:58.4325W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6919 2927
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Gravestone 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register