SH8481 : Inside St Trillo's Seafront Chapel

taken 4 years ago, near to Rh˘s-on-Sea, Conwy, Great Britain

Inside St Trillo's Seafront Chapel
Inside St Trillo's Seafront Chapel
The site of the well can be seen in front of the stone altar.
St Trillo's Seafront Chapel
Located by Rhos Point fishing weir and measuring only 11 by 8 feet, with barely sufficient room to squeeze in 6 chairs, this tiny building is believed to be the smallest church in the British Isles. The chapel is named after St Trillo, a sixth century missionary from Brittany who built his cell on the site of the chapel; the original cell was probably constructed of wood and wattle although he may have built a wall of stones gathered from the beach to protect the structure from winds.

The chapel occupies the site of a pre-Christian holy well; the spring inside the chapel provided St Trillo with drinking water and this water source would have influenced his decision to build his cell at this spot. The chapel's altar is positioned behind the site of the well which, for centuries, supplied the water for baptisms across the extensive mediŠval parish of Llandrillo. It also had a long tradition of being a healing well.

The age of the present chapel is uncertain and estimates of its date range from the 6th century to the 16th century. There is also uncertainty as to its original purpose, with some historians contending that it was simply built as a well-house, others maintaining that it was intended as a chapel. After the roof collapsed (some time after 1855) the chapel was restored with a lower external roof pitch and a pointed instead of a segmental arch to the vault. Further restoration took place in 1935. The tiny chapel is still used for services despite only having room for a congregation of six. It is a grade II listed building (CADW Building ID: 146 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

LinkExternal link Wikipedia
LinkExternal link Snowdonia Guide

The parish church (SH8380 : St Trillo's Church, Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, 1km to the south west) is also dedicated to St Trillo.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SH8481, 49 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 20 April, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 24 April, 2015
Geographical Context
Coastal  Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites  People, Events 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G3 
Image Buckets ?
Indoor 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 8413 8113 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:18.8631N 3:44.4423W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 8413 8113
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Sixth Century  6th Century  Place of Religious Worship  Church  Chapel  St Trillo  Cell  Holy Well  Cadw  Grade II  Listed Building  Stone Altar 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 31 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register