SK9398 : Stained glass window, St Andrew's church, Kirton in Lindsey

taken 4 years ago, near to Kirton in Lindsey, North Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Stained glass window, St Andrew's church, Kirton in Lindsey
Stained glass window, St Andrew's church, Kirton in Lindsey
Glass by Powell, depicting Remigius, St Cecilia and St Hugh of Lincoln.
In memory of Bartholomew and Susanna Howlett, and son and daughter England and Annie. 1931.
St Andrew's church, Kirton in Lindsey

Grade I listed

The church is built on the site of a Saxon place of worship, of which little remains. The name Kirton means "town of the church".
Around the year 1200 the original church was demolished and enlarged and rebuilt.
There is a priests door in the south wall with a pre-Norman tympanum, probably the oldest part of the church.

There is a west tower, five bay nave with north and south aisles and clerestory, north and south porches, three bay chancel and vestry.

The massive three stage west tower dates from the 13th century, and has a 15th century battlemented parapet with crocketted finials. Inside the tower the ringing chamber has a painted ceiling.
The pillars of the north arcade (late 12th century) are set on larger bases which could have formed the wall of an earlier church.
The south arcade is later (late 13th century) and the carving style of the capitals is inferior.
The nave clerestory was added in the 15th century, at the same time the tower was strengthened, and in 1553 three bells were installed in the tower. There are now eight bells.
The chancel was rebuilt in 1860 by Ewan Christian, the chancel arch dates from that time. The nave floor is higher than the floor of the tower, and it is believed that 375 people are interred within the church.
The western Gallery was also removed in 1860, and the north porch was built.

There is an effigy of a Knight, possibly Sir Gilbert Waterhouse who served with Henry III. The effigy is defaced, and dates from the mid-13th century. He lies with crossed legs and raised hands. The effigy was buried in the 17th century and later dug up.

The organ dates from 1874 and was built by Walker & Sons.

There are several commemorative stained-glass windows, the east window is by Clayton and Bell.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK9398, 89 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 9 May, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 12 May, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Place (from Tags)
Kirton in Lindsey 
Church (from Tags)
St Andrews 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9341 9856 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.5295N 0:35.6443W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window  James Powell and Sons 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 60 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register