TF0433 : Church of St Andrew, Pickworth

taken 4 years ago, near to Pickworth, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Church of St Andrew, Pickworth
Church of St Andrew, Pickworth
St Andrew’s, Pickworth, is now one of the 15 churches that comprise the group parish of South Lafford.

There is a village web site at LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
and a web site for the South Lafford parish at LinkExternal link (Archive LinkExternal link )
Church of St Andrew, Pickworth, Lincolnshire
The church of St Andrew is a grade I listed building whose oldest identifiable features are from the 12th century. It is well known for the Medieval wall paintings discovered in 1947.

The nave and chancel were rebuilt in the decorated style by the Pickworth family in 1358, though the tower is older. It is probable that the broached spire dates from the 1358 rebuild.

The south door and rood screen are 14th century, as are the pews. The rood screen survived the iconoclasts, less its decorative canopy and upper pulpit. A new canopy was made for the screen in 1966, the four hundredth anniversary of the destruction. This work was done by a Mr J.H. Palin, and the guide book points out that both Mr Palin and the original carver were left handed.

There is a statue of Mary Magdalene dating from 1380, recovered but headless from where it was hidden from the iconoclasts. It was re-erected in the 19th century.

See the English Heritage listing at LinkExternal link and the church's own web site at LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bob Harvey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0433, 102 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 27 June, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 9 July, 2015
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
14th Century 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 044 336 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:53.4213N 0:26.9743W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 044 336
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Decorated Style  Parish Church and Graveyard 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 17 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register