SP1106 : Arlington Mill, Bibury, Gloucestershire

taken 4 years ago, near to Arlington, Gloucestershire, Great Britain

Arlington Mill, Bibury, Gloucestershire
Arlington Mill, Bibury, Gloucestershire
Formerly woollen and corn mills with 3 attached houses; now museum with one attached house. Late C17; additions of c1700, early and mid C19; major 1859 alterations to mill; restored 1966 by David Verey. Random rubble, coursed and ashlar limestone; ashlar and brick chimneys; stone slate roof. Main 3 and 4-storey mill block with 3 and 2-storey houses at south west end; 2-storey with attic mill cottage on south east side. South east (road) side: mill block to right with gable-mounted cut-down chimney to left. Scattered mostly C19 segmental arched casement fenestration. Two tall raking buttresses with coped tops and bold diagonal corner buttresses are part of mid C19 strengthening of structure. Segmental arched doorway with plank door and hipped roofed porch is approached up flight of stone steps. Projecting mill cottage attached below chimney gable to left has lean-to addition in angle on right side; scattered timber casement fenestration with timber lintels except for two upper floor 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned casements with hoodmoulds on south west side; C19 altered doorway below with 4-panel door; 2 eaves-mounted gabledf roof dormers. Three-storey mill house to left has ashlar elevation with 2-window 3-light mullioned casement fenestration with hoodmoulds; no windows to upper floor. Further house to left has single-window 3-light mullioned casement fenestration with doorway to right having 6-panel door; single eaves-mounted dormer. South west end: half-hipped lean-to to end house. East end: tall gable end to mill with diagonal and off-centre offset buttresses. Rear: scattered fenestration to mill as to front. Various eaves-mounted and mid-pitch ashlar chimneys. Interior: iron columns and girders are from 1859 rebuilding to take steam-powered corn-milling machinery, since removed. Present mill machinery is from North Cerney. Other parts of building now used for the display of Victorian and Arts and Crafts exhibits. Recorded as a cloth and corn mill in C17, continuing in dual use until mid C19 concentration upon corn milling. C19 buttresses and position in village contribute to picturesque nature of building.

(Source:Historic England)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Oswald Bertram and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP1106, 242 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 30 June, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 11 July, 2015
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Village, Rural settlement  Industry 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 113 068 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:45.6079N 1:50.1998W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 113 068
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 19 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register