NU1835 : Bamburgh Castle Windmill from St Oswald's Gate

taken 14 years ago, near to Bamburgh, Northumberland, Great Britain

Bamburgh Castle Windmill from St Oswald's Gate
Bamburgh Castle Windmill from St Oswald's Gate
Bamburgh has been an important defensive site for hundreds of years. The castle is largely medieval but by the early 18th century was in ruins. It was bought by Lord Crewe, the Bishop of Durham who left the castle in his will to charity. In 1757 Dr Sharpe, the trustee of the charity began restoration and the castle was made inhabitable again. This windmill was built at the west end of the castle and was used to grind corn to sell to the poor at special low prices.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lisa Jarvis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NU1835, 467 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 2 June, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 5 June, 2007
Category
Windmill > Windmill   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NU 181 351 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:36.5933N 1:42.7879W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NU 181 352
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 291 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register