2007

NU1835 : Bamburgh Castle Windmill

taken 17 years ago, near to Bamburgh, Northumberland, England

Bamburgh Castle Windmill
Bamburgh Castle Windmill
Bamburgh has been an important defensive site for hundreds of years. The castle is largely medieval but by the early 18th century was in ruins. It was bought by Lord Crewe, the Bishop of Durham who left the castle in his will to charity. In 1757 Dr Sharpe, the trustee of the charity began restoration and the castle was made inhabitable again.

This windmill was built at the west end of the castle and was used to grind corn to sell to the poor at special low prices.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lisa Jarvis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Category: Windmill > Windmill
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · 18th Century [14] · Castle was Bought [10] · West [9] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NU1835, 547 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Lisa Jarvis   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 2 June, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 5 June, 2007
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NU 181 351 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:36.5987N 1:42.7783W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NU 181 351
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 167 times
You are not logged in login | register