SJ3589 : The Lady Chapel Viewed from the Gallery

taken 4 years ago, near to Liverpool, Great Britain

The Lady Chapel Viewed from the Gallery
The Lady Chapel Viewed from the Gallery
Consecrated in 1910, The Lady Chapel is used when a more intimate form of worship is required, such as weddings or funerals. This was the first part of the cathedral to be completed. It suffered damage during World War II but was fully restored in 1953. The Chapel's style is more elaborate than the main body of the Cathedral, reflecting different approaches by the architect and his team.

Wheelchair users are able to enjoy a grand view of the reredos and principal windows from a balcony directly opposite the altar. This position also gives a good vantage point for a closer view of Scott's intricately designed lanterns.
Anglican Cathedral Church of Christ in Liverpool
Liverpool Cathedral is the Church of England Cathedral of the Diocese of Liverpool, built on St James's Mount. The total external length of the building, including the Lady Chapel is 207 yards (189 metres) making it the longest cathedral in the world*.

Built to a design by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, mainly of local sandstone quarried from the South Liverpool suburb of Woolton, the first part of the building to be completed, the Lady Chapel, was consecrated in 1910. Following delays caused by the First World War, the main body of the Cathedral was consecrated in the presence of King George V and Queen Mary in 1924. The central tower and west transepts were added 1924-42. Further work was hampered by World War II, during which the cathedral received heavy bomb damage. Scott produced his plans for the nave in 1942, but work on it did not begin until 1948 and it wasnít completed until after his death. The completion of the building was marked by a service of thanksgiving and dedication in October 1978, attended by Queen Elizabeth II. It is a grade I listed building (English Heritage Building ID: 359401 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

*The only church building to exceed it in length is St. Peterís Basilica in Rome, which however is not a cathedral.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ3589, 827 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 20 July, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 25 July, 2015
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  City, Town centre 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G3 
Image Buckets ?
Indoor 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 353 893 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:23.7933N 2:58.4051W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 353 893
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 19 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register