TM3295 : Taylorcraft Auster AOP.V

taken 4 years ago, near to Thwaite st Mary, Norfolk, Great Britain

This is 1 of 3 images, with title Taylorcraft Auster AOP.V in this square
Taylorcraft Auster AOP.V
Taylorcraft Auster AOP.V
Parked on Seething airfield on the Charity Air Day. The Taylorcraft Auster was a British military liaison and observation aircraft produced by the Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Limited company during the Second World War. They were issued to 12 Royal Air Force, one Polish and three Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Air Observation Post (AOP) Squadrons.

This particular aircraft was constructed in 1944 for the RAF and is currently painted in the colour scheme of 652 Squadron, representing the role that Austers played during operations such as Overlord as artillery spotters for the Army. On 6 July 1945 the aircraft overturned on the occasion of a forced landing in a deeply rutted field in Holland and in March 1946 was put into long-term storage. After a spell in France and several changes of ownership the Auster in December 1978 returned to the UK where it was registered as G-AMVD. Maurice Hammond purchased the aircraft in 1997 and it is currently based at the former Hardwick airfield in Norfolk, and piloted by Leah Hammond.
Seething Charity Air Day
A Charity Air Day is organised every year with the aim to raise as much money as possible for chosen charities, the East Anglian Air Ambulance and East Anglia's Children's Hospice and to provide a platform for local charitable organisations on which to promote their cause. It is also a good day out for young and old. The Seething Control Tower Museum, housed in the restored Second World Ward watch office, is also open to visitors.
Seething Airfield :: TM3195
Built by John Laing & Sons in 1942/43 to the standard Class A requirement for heavy bombers, Seething airfield was initially known as RAF 258 Seething. After the arrival of the United States Army Air Forces Eighth Air Force 448th Bombardment Group (Heavy) it became USAAF Station 146.

After the last Americans had left in June/July 1945, the airfield was used for storing bombs and munitions. In 1947, part of the buildings on the Hospital site were converted into temporary dwellings and most of the land was returned to agriculture. The eastern section, including part of the main runway, is currently Seething Airfield, home to the Waveney Flying Group. The former Control tower has since been restored and now houses a memorial museum. The Seething Control Tower Museum is open on the first Sunday of the month from May to October. LinkExternal link.

See also: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TM3295, 70 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 6 September, 2015   (more nearby)
Monday, 7 September, 2015
Geographical Context
Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 3201 9568 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:30.5762N 1:25.0516E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TM 3204 9565
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 72 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register