SJ8588 : Gates to the old station

taken 6 years ago, near to Cheadle, Stockport, Great Britain

Gates to the old station
Gates to the old station
The gates on Manchester Road lead to the former Cheadle LNW station. The London and North Western railway completed its line from Stockport Edgeley to Northenden in 1866. Cheadle LNW station was opened on 1 August 1866. The station had two platforms. The northern platform handled trains from Warrington to Stockport and the southern side was for trains heading west to Warrington and Liverpool. The station closed in 1917 as it was unable to compete with tram services from Gatley to Mersey Square which ran down the High Street. The line is still used for modern trains but they no longer stop at Cheadle.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8588, 155 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 5 September, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 10 September, 2015
Geographical Context
Railways 
Date (from Tags)
1866  1917 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8588 8889 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:23.7989N 2:12.8286W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8590 8891
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
London and North Western Railway  Site of Former Railway Station 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 20 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register