2015

SK3140 : Monument to Lord and Lady Curzon in All Saints' Church

taken 8 years ago, near to Kedleston, Derbyshire, England

Monument to Lord and Lady Curzon in All Saints' Church
Monument to Lord and Lady Curzon in All Saints' Church
There are 35 monuments to members the Curzon family in the church; these include free-standing tombs, wall monuments and floor tablets. They date from the 13th to the 20th centuries. In 1906, after the untimely death of his wife Mary, Lord George Curzon commissioned GF Bodley to design a memorial chapel. The north wall of the nave was removed and the chapel was constructed over a large burial vault.

This memorial chapel contains the largest of the Curzon family memorials in the church. It is a free-standing tomb which bears the effigies of the 1st Marquess Curzon of Kedleston, who died in 1925, and his wife Mary. It is a table tomb in white marble; two angels holding the crown of life lean over the effigies. The memorial, with the recumbent effigies of Lord and Lady Curzon, is in white Serravezzo marble on a black base, while the floor is in green Aventurine, a quartz from the Urals, chosen by Lord Curzon to contrast with the white tomb.

LinkExternal link Churches Conservation Trust
The Church of All Saints, Kedleston

All Saints Church, Kedleston, is a redundant Anglican church which stands adjacent to SK3140 : Kedleston Hall, a country house in Derbyshire. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building (English Heritage Building ID: 78879 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).

The ancient church is all that remains of the mediŠval village of Kedleston which was cleared after the present hall was begun in 1759. Despite having plans drawn up for a private chapel in his new house, Sir Nathaniel Curzon, the 1st Baron Scarsdale, decided to retain the old church in which his ancestors were buried. The settlement of Kedleston was recorded in the Domesday Book, and the first mention of a church here was in 1198ľ99. The only remaining part of that church is the Norman south doorway and the adjoining wall. The majority of the present church dates from rebuilding in the 13th century. At some time between 1480 and 1510, the top of the tower was rebuilt in Perpendicular style. The church was declared redundant on 1 April 1983, and was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust on 18 April 1989 (LinkExternal link Diocese of Derby).


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SK3140, 324 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
David Dixon   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 14 September, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 19 September, 2015
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 312 403 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:57.5555N 1:32.2105W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 312 403
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 169 times
You are not logged in login | register