NT5135 : Galafoot sewage works

taken 6 years ago, near to Tweedbank, Scottish Borders, Great Britain

Galafoot sewage works
Galafoot sewage works
On the north bank of the Tweed, viewed from the Tweed railway viaduct.

The older buildings are Category C Listed LinkExternal link . These include a power house, laboratory and office building and other ancillary buildings.

The site has an interesting history, described by Historic Scotland as follows...

"The waste water treatment buildings form a significant group with a distinctive cohesive style and make a strong contribution to the early modern 20th century history of Galashiels, ultimately becoming a model waste disposal system to be copied by other local burghs.

Proposals for a town sewage disposal system were first mooted in 1879 over concern over the lack of drainage system in the town and the increased amount of industrial effluent, much of which was flushed untreated into the Gala Water. The proposals were in direct competition for local funding with the proposed extension to the existing Burgh Buildings which local councillors were proposing to expand. The disagreement ultimately resulted in the resignation of all the existing town councillors and replacement with new councillors in favour of a new sewage system, who were elected in 1903 under Provost Rutherford. An enquiry held in 1907 ended in a Parliamentary Order in 1908 approving the proposals for a new sewage system for the town.

Burgh engineers formed the plans for the scheme from 1908, and the main works were completed by 1912 at a cost of around 70,000. The buildings on the Galafoot site were constructed in 1910 as an integral part of this major development. The following few years saw the connection of all dwellings in the town to the sewage system; Galashiels subsequently became an example to other local Burghs who had yet introduced waste disposal systems.

Subsequent agreements were made with local manufacturers for industrial waste to be treated through the council's sewers at prescribed charges.

The sewage disposal works at Galafoot were modernised in 1961/64 and further works in 1975 included the improvement and expansion of the whole system. The Galafoot plant and associated buildings are still in use today as the main sewage treatment plant for the Burgh".
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Thomas Nugent and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT5135, 176 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 26 September, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 3 October, 2015
Geographical Context
Suburb, Urban fringe  Water resources  Waste, Waste management 
Primary Subject of Photo
Sewage Works 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 5139 3520 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:36.4779N 2:46.3897W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 5157 3525
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 77 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register