TF0053 : Remains of Sedilia

taken 4 years ago, 4 km from Wellingore, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Remains of Sedilia
Remains of Sedilia
Inside the Temple Bruer tower.
Temple Bruer Preceptory
Temple Bruer Preceptory was built in 1160, and by 1190 the Templars controlled 10,000 acres in Lincolnshire, and in Kesteven they owned property in 50% of parishes.

The role of the Templars was to guard the shrines of the Holy Land and to protect Pilgrims. They raised funds to support their work through a Europe wide network of Preceptories which were religious houses from which they administered their estates.
The order was suppressed in 1312 and their assets were transferred to the Knights Hospitaller. At the time Temple Bruer was the second wealthiest Preceptory in England. There were other Preceptories in Lincolnshire, namely Willoughton, Eagle, Aslackby, South Witham and East Mere.

The existing tower is all that remains, and was once one of a pair at the east end of the church. The rest of the church consisted of a circular nave with aisle, and a Presbytery which joined the two Towers. In the 14th century a Chapel was built on the south side of the church, the scar of the roofline can be seen on the tower. There was a room above the vaulted ceiling, and a further top chamber, reached by a spiral stair.This third storey was largely rebuilt in the early 20th century, and there were originally stone battlements.
Peasants helped to farm the 4000 acres of land, and the remains of their village lie under fields to the south east.

Temple Bruer was held until the dissolution of the monasteries around 1540 when Henry VIII granted it to the Duke of Suffolk. The King and his wife Katherine Howard stayed here on their way to Lincoln.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0053, 29 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 15 November, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 15 November, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Interior 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0085 5370 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:4.2615N 0:29.7737W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Preceptory  Temple Bruer  Sedilia 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 16 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register