TA2609 : South transept window, St James' church, Grimsby

taken 4 years ago, near to Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, Great Britain

South transept window, St James' church, Grimsby
South transept window, St James' church, Grimsby
Glass by Hugh Easton, 1957.
St James' church, Grimsby

Grade I listed

The church dates from the 13th century onwards, and is a large cruciate church which has had extensive restoration and rebuilding.
It consists of a 13th century nave with aisles, north and south transepts, central tower, chancel with two bay north and south chapels, a south vestry and south porch.
The central tower has two stages and has perpendicular tracery to the windows. There were originally eight bells, but now there are only four.
The nave is of six bays with clerestory windows above, the roofs are 19th century.The piers date from the 14th century and is the crossing is dated 1365.
The chancel is of three bays with a north Lady Chapel which was added by Bodley in 1906. This was built as a Memorial to Canon James Peter Young. There was originally a mediaeval Chapel here which was demolished around 1720. The stained-glass is by Leonard Evetts.
South of the chancel is the Chapel of the resurrection by Sir Charles Nicholson, 1920. There was probably a previous side aisle to the chancel which was Rayner's Chantry from the mid-14th century.

The transepts have stained-glass by Hugh Easton.

There is a monument to Sir Thomas Haslerton , a 14th century Knight on the west side of the lady Chapel.
The east window commemorates Grimsby trawler men lost during World War II, in three lancet windows.
The font dates from the 13th century, with a 14th century bowl.
Restorations took place in 1858, 1874, 1882 and 1910.
During World War II, the church was damaged, particularly the north side and restored by Nicholson in 1950.
The organ is located in the west Gallery and is by Walker, 1951.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TA2609, 336 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 27 November, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 1 December, 2015
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St James 
Place (from Tags)
Grimsby 
Designer (from Tags)
Hugh Easton 
Primary Subject of Photo
Window 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 2662 0916 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:33.8271N 0:5.3812W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Stained Glass Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 52 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register