TF0412 : Church of St Mary: Pulpit and Lectern

taken 4 years ago, near to Essendine, Rutland, Great Britain

Church of St Mary: Pulpit and Lectern
Church of St Mary: Pulpit and Lectern
The Pulpit is Victorian, of stained pine. The Lectern is of Oak and rather finely inlaid, and of good quality. It is presumably the one referred to TF0412 : Church of St Mary: Dedicatory plaque but it carries the roman numberals "MCMXX" inlaid on the base. I can only assume that 1920 is the year it was dedicated, two years after the dreadful war.
Church and Moated site, Essendine
St Mary's is a church with Saxon origins, which was once the chapel of the adjacent castle or moated manor. It replaced an earlier parish church, long demolished, although the location is recorded. Essendine is an enclave of Rutland between Stamford and the remainder of Lincolnshire, essentially on the 'wrong side' of the river Gwash

The church is grade II* listed, and the moated remains are a scheduled ancient monument. Heritage England refer to it as a Castle, as does local tradition, though the OS describes the remains as Manorial. There need not, of course, be a clear distinction.

The moated remains are deep and well preserved, although no building survives. The church dates mostly from the 12th century, with a chancel added to the east laster. The roof was replaced and the windows repaired in the 19th century.

The church has a tiny two-bell bellcote at the west, and is famous for the Tympanum above the south door. The carved doorway and the chancel arch may have come from the earlier church. The church, part of the diocese of Peterborough is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene.

The church nave dates from the 12th Century, and the chancel was added in the 13th. The whole was extensively restored in the 19th century.

For details of the listing for the church see: LinkExternal link
For details of the listing for the castle see: LinkExternal link
See also the lengthy description in the Victoria County History: LinkExternal link and the summary in Pastscape: LinkExternal link

The Peterborough Diocesan listing for St Mary Magdalene, Essendine is at LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bob Harvey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0412, 87 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 19 December, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 20 December, 2015
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Date (from Tags)
1920 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Detail 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0490 1279 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:42.1577N 0:26.9389W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0490 1278
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Pulpit  Church Lectern 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 13 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register