SD5428 : One of the Sebastopol Cannons, Avenham Park

taken 4 years ago, near to Preston, Lancashire, Great Britain

One of the Sebastopol Cannons, Avenham Park
One of the Sebastopol Cannons, Avenham Park
The more westerly of the two Sebastopol Cannons on the Lower Viewing Terrace in Avenham Park. See also: SD5428 : Lower Viewing Terrace and Sebastopol Cannons, Avenham Park
Sebastopol Cannons
Either side of the steps on the Lower Viewing Terrace are the Sebastopol Cannons. After the Siege of Sebastopol (now Sevastopol) in 1855 LinkExternal link these two 36lb Russian cannons were presented to Preston. They stood in this spot until the 1960s when they were removed and scrapped. In 2008, as part of the restoration the park, two replicas were made after consulting other surviving examples. It is these which now stand in the park.
Avenham and Miller Parks, Preston :: SD5328
Avenham and Miller Parks are adjoining Parks that lie in the picturesque Avenham valley on the north bank of the River Ribble close to Preston city centre and rank amongst the finest examples of traditional Victorian parkland in the country and are Grade II* listed on the English Heritage Register of Historic Gardens. The parks are separated by the East Lancashire Railway embankment and linked through ornate railway arches.

Both parks were designed and created by the renowned landscape architect Edward Milner during the 1860ís. At this time the American civil war was raging and Preston and other North West cotton towns were experiencing a cotton famine due to a shortage of raw material from America. The parks were built as public works to keep cotton workers employed and prevent the social and economic problems associated with high unemployment. Miller Park is named after Thomas Miller (1811-1895) who donated the land to the west of the railway embankmentto Preston Council.

Although the parks were designed by Milner to be a "harmonious whole", his design created two distinct parks. Avenham Park became a romantic style garden whilst Miller Park is more formal in appearance with ornate floral displays. They were opened by HRH the Duke of Cambridge on 3rd October 1867.

Following a successful Heritage Lottery Bid, Avenham and Miller Parks have benefited from a substantial restoration. This project was launched in March2006, with the final phase of the restoration completed in 2014.

LinkExternal link Avenham and Miller Parks Leaflet (pdf format), Preston City Council
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Adam C Snape and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD5428, 93 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 20 December, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 21 December, 2015
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Park and Public Gardens  Defence, Military 
Primary Subject of Photo
Military Relic 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5417 2872 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:45.1691N 2:41.7911W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5417 2872
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Avenham Park  Lower Viewing Terrace  Sebastopol Cannon 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 124 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register