TF0830 : St James' Church: tower screen

taken 5 years ago, near to Aslackby, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

St James' Church: tower screen
St James' Church: tower screen
In 2010 the church had this massive oaken screen erected at the base of the tower, creating a small kitchen area and screening off the ringers.

The work was done by Messanger Construction of Tinwell, under the supervision of Messer's Bowman, of Stamford (LinkExternal link )
St James' Church, Aslackby

The existing Parish church dates from around 1300, 1320 and the mid 15th century. It was restored in the 19th century and the chancel was largely rebuilt. The bulk of the church is roofed in lead with just the chancel in Collyweston slate.
The tower is early 14th century and is particularly ‘clasped’ by the north and south aisles. It has 3 stage angle buttresses – the north west buttress contains the stair turret. The tower has huge blind openings some of which appear to have been filled in at a later date – the ‘straight’ joints can be seen clearly both inside and out. A moulded string course defines the bell chamber. There are bell openings on all sides each with a pointed head and two ogee headed lights with a quatrefoil above. A clock has been inserted in the south bell opening. It commemorates the men of Aslackby who fell in the Great War. It replaced an earlier clock and the original wooden pulley wheels are still to be seen in the bell chamber.
The north aisle is thought to be of around 1300. It has a plinth and moulded string course. The west window has a chamfered surround and ‘Y’ tracery, and a hood mould. Near the west end is a blocked doorway.
The north wall of the chancel is the oldest part of the church with two plain 13th century Early English lancet windows. The chancel was much restored in 1856 and has a plinth and string course. There are blocked openings on the east and west sides with hood moulds running into a string course. There are benches beneath the blocked openings and much graffiti, and possible blade sharpening grooves on the western sill. The porch may have been used as a schoolroom. An unusual flowing (some say clumsy) cusped parapet runs the length of the south aisle and has been described as saracenic (the style and architecture of Islam) which is interesting, though perhaps coincidental, bearing in mind Aslackby’s connection with the Middle East through the Knights Templar.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bob Harvey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0830, 106 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 8 November, 2015   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 21 December, 2015
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Date (from Tags)
2010 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Interior 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0853 3039 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:51.6040N 0:23.3672W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0853 3039
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Tower 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 13 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register