SU5833 : Ford at New Alresford

taken 4 years ago, near to New Alresford, Hampshire, Great Britain

Ford at New Alresford
Ford at New Alresford
This image shows the northern exit to the ford at the Fulling Mill at New Alresford. The ford runs for some 200 metres along the River Itchen, a trout stream which formed a cartway to the mill linking it to The Dean at its southern end. The Wayfarers long distance path runs along the bank at this point.
The steam railway runs from the station at Alresford;
The Mid-Hants Railway (Watercress Line) :: SU5832

The Watercress Line is the marketing name of the Mid-Hants Railway, a heritage railway in Hampshire which runs for 10 miles from New Alresford to Alton where it connects to the National Rail network. The line gained its popular name in the days that it was used to transport locally grown watercress from the beds in Alresford to markets in London.

The line to connect with the existing London & South Western Railway lines at Alton and Winchester was opened in 1865 as the Mid-Hants Railway. Trains were operated by the London & South Western Railway which eventually purchased the Mid-Hants Railway Company in 1884. New stations were initially constructed at Itchen Abbas, Ropley and Alresford; the station at Alton was already in existence. The station at Medstead and Four Marks was added in 1868. As well as transporting locally produced watercress, was particularly important for military traffic between the army town of Aldershot and the military embarkation port at Southampton.

The line became part of the Southern Railway in 1923 and then part of the Southern Region of British Railways in 1948. Use of the line declined during the inter-war and post-war periods of the 20th Century and electrification of the line from London to Alton in 1937 meant that the Watercress Line was no longer part of a through route; it became necessary to change at Alton. Although it survived the “Beeching Axe” in 1963, it was eventually closed by British Railways in 1973 and the section of line from Alresford to Alton that is now run as a heritage railway was purchased from British Rail in November 1975.

Reconstruction of the line progressed in stages. The section between Alresford and Ropley re-opened as a visitor attraction in 1977. To provide engineering and maintenance facilities, the main locomotive shed and workshops were constructed at Ropley. The extension to Medstead & Four Marks opened on 28 May 1983 and the final section to the mainline station at Alton opened in 1985 with its own station buildings on Platform 3. Today the railway runs the full 10 miles between the market towns of Alresford and Alton, preserving an important piece of 1940s-70s railway heritage.

LinkExternal link Mid-Hants Railway The Watercress Line
LinkExternal link Wikipedia

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright John Walton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SU5833, 126 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 22 January, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 26 January, 2016
Geographical Context
Rivers, Streams, Drainage 
Primary Subject of Photo
Ford 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 5842 3310 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:5.6545N 1:10.0290W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SU 5841 3309
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Ford 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 72 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register