TF0133 : Church of St Nicholas: The door

taken 4 years ago, near to Sapperton, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Church of St Nicholas: The door
Church of St Nicholas: The door
The South Door is now the only door of the church, following the removal of the North door sometime in the 13th or 14th century. The door surround, if not the actual door, date to the 13th century according to LinkExternal link
St Nicholas' church, Sapperton
A tiny spire tops a tower nearly 800 years old. The church has been largely rebuilt, but in the north wall can be seen the arches of a vanished 13th century arcade. There is a plain Norman font and a much worn stone carving, (in the floor) of a medieval woman in a hood and wimple. Nothing is known of this early 14th century lady whose face and hands have been worn down by countless feet walking over her as they made their way out of a (now non existent) door through the arcade. The south door has no porch, which is unusual, but has a bolt that can be fastened only from within the church, suggesting another entrance may well have existed.
A tablet in the chancel tells how Sapperton was given two enclosed fields at Ingoldsby.
It is said that the church caught fire at some time and there are traces of black round the dogtooth pattern of the south door arch. Towards the end of the 19th century the church must have been in a sorry state. Tablets in the chancel and on the south nave tell of considerable refurbishment, including the replacement of a clerestory with the present sloping roof.
On Friday, 13th April 1951, during a thunder storm, the south east corner of the tower was struck by lightning causing the steeple to fall in the bell chamber stripping nearly all the tiles off the south facing roof. The repairs carried out by Bowman’s of Stamford.
In the 1960’s, Haceby Church was sadly neglected and closed. The Rood Beam from Haceby chancel Norman arch was brought to Sapperton and placed into the Gothic arch.
Sapperton’s name is derived from the Old English “farmstead of the soapmakers or soap merchants” which gives an interesting, though now barely believable, indication of former activities on this site. In about 1269, Roger de Sapreton had a grant of free-warren in the manor from Henry III. The manor was granted to William, Lord Hastings (executed by Richard III in 1483) by Edward IV in 1461. William, Viscount Beaumont held the manor when he died in 1507. Robert Sapcotes held the manor from Henry VIII in about 1537. The Saunders family, some of who are buried “near this place”, owned Sapperton, John Saunders making presentations of five rectors between 1662 & 1692. Later it was bought by Sir Richard Earle, Bart. Who left it to Richard Welby, of Denton Esq. who died in 1713.
As of October 2011, Sapperton has shrunk to 12 households and a population of 33.

Taken from Church Guide by Arthur Rimmington
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bob Harvey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0133, 60 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 27 February, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 28 February, 2016
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
13th Century 
Primary Subject of Photo
Door 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0187 3396 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:53.6069N 0:29.2332W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0187 3395
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Detail  Grade II Listed  Church Door  Church Entrance Door 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 20 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register