2016

SD8304 : The Temple, Heaton Park

taken 8 years ago, near to Blackley, Manchester, England

This is 1 of 2 images, with title The Temple, Heaton Park in this square
The Temple, Heaton Park
The Temple, Heaton Park
The Temple, designed by James Wyatt in 1800 as an eye-catcher, is a simple, small rotunda of Tuscan columns with a domed roof and lantern. This Grade II listed building (Historic England ID:388179) LinkExternal link (British Listed Buildings) stands on the highest point of the City of Manchester giving views across the golf course, which was originally the deer park. It has its own fireplace and is traditionally said to have been used as an observatory by Sir Thomas Egerton (later 1st Earl of Wilton) who is known to have owned a telescope.

The temple has recently been enclosed by a stone balustrade and gravelled path and is used as a summer studio for artists, and for astronomy sessions.
Heaton Park

Heaton Park, which comprises the grounds of a Grade I listed neoclassical 18th-century country house, Heaton Hall (SD8304 : Heaton Hall) is located 4 miles north of Manchester city centre. Covering an area reported as over 640 acres, it is the biggest park in Greater Manchester and one of the largest municipal parks in Europe. Heaton Park is listed Grade 2 on the English Heritage Register of Parks and there are nine listed structures in the park. Details can be found on the English Heritage website LinkExternal link .

Heaton Park was sold to Manchester City Council in 1902, by the Earl of Wilton, to be kept for the enjoyment and recreation of the public. Manchester Council later used part of the north side of the park for the construction of a large gravity feed reservoir; interrupted by the First World War, this work was only completed in the 1920s. A municipal golf course (SD8304 : Heaton Park Golf Course) was also laid out and a large boating lake excavated (SD8303 : Heaton Park Boating Lake). The former facade of the first Manchester Town Hall on King Street (SD8303 : Heaton Park - Town Hall Colonnade) was re-erected as a backdrop to the lake.

During the First World War the Manchester Pals used the park as a training depot. The park was also used as the site of a Royal Air Force depot in the Second World War.

At the end of the 20th century the park was renovated and some of the buildings and original vistas from the 18th century landscape design were restored as part of a millennium project partnership between the Heritage Lottery Fund and Manchester City Council.

LinkExternal link Heaton Park website


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SD8304, 230 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
David Dixon   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 6 March, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 13 March, 2016
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 834 045 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:32.2455N 2:15.0348W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 834 045
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 187 times
You are not logged in login | register