TG1608 : View towards the top level of the bunker

taken 4 years ago, near to Little Melton, Norfolk, Great Britain

View towards the top level of the bunker
View towards the top level of the bunker
The bunker was designed to protect the operations rooms contained within from a close proximity 20 megaton nuclear strike. It has massive concrete walls, ceilings and floors and an independent water supply from a bore hole pump house, emergency generators and a filtered air conditioning system. All the internal doors were lined with metal for further protection of the equipment, and the top of the structure was covered with concrete rafts and a thick layer of soil. The interior of the bunker featured an operations room which occupied the full height of the structure and also comprised rest rooms and toilets, a kitchen, duty rooms and rooms for GPO telephone equipment and teleprinters.
RAF Bawburgh RGHQ
ROTOR was an extensive, elaborate and very costly air defence radar system built by the British Government in the early 1950s in an attempt to counter possible nuclear attacks by Soviet bomber aircraft. In April 1956, 39 new stations were handed over to RAF Fighter Command and the existing structure was re-arranged into six Sector Operational Commands (SOC), each with its own command bunker. Only four of these were however used, one of them being an originally three-level ROTOR bunker located near the village of Bawburgh and RAF Bawburgh was designated the SOC for the Eastern Sector (4).

By the 1960s, many of the bunkers which had been constructed only a relatively short while ago had already become redundant, and when the policy of Regional Seats of Government Headquarters was introduced a number of ROTOR sites where utilised. Bawburgh was designated Sector Operations Headquarters 4.1 (SRHQ4.1). One of the SRHQs' principal roles was the strategic control of the remaining civil defence organisation after an attack, with the aim to conserve resources for longer-term survival rather than short-term aid to the hardest hit areas. In 1968, Bawburgh became the regional Seat of Government, officially referred to as RGHQ4 - Regional Government Headquarters of Region 4 (East).

RAF Bawburgh was decommissioned in 1990 and sold off in 1994 and the main site including the now disused bunker has since been privately owned. A few buildings associated with the site have survived in the vicinity.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Evelyn Simak and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TG1608, 129 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
March 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 6 April, 2016
Geographical Context
Defence, Military 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 1650 0805 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:37.6206N 1:11.8464E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TG 1650 0801
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 238 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register