2016

TQ3378 : Three blocks on the Kinglake Estate, Kinglake Street, Walworth

taken 8 years ago, near to Bermondsey, Southwark, England

Three blocks on the Kinglake Estate, Kinglake Street, Walworth
Three blocks on the Kinglake Estate, Kinglake Street, Walworth
On the left is the western return of Southborough House. On the right, half of Tenterden House. Between them, the east end of Faversham House and Bagshot Street. The reverse view is TQ3378 : Entry to Surrey Square Park from Kinglake Street, Walworth.
The Kinglake Estate, London SE17

The estate comprises nine brick-built blocks of flats on each side of Kinglake Street, east of the better-known Aylesbury Estate. Kinglake Estate first appears, complete, on an OS map of 1951, suggesting that it was begun during the late 1940s among the earliest post-war public housing in London.

A map of 1851 shows most of the local streets in place but not always with their modern names. A map of 1875 shows the area consisting of small terrace houses with rear yards or gardens. It is all Newington. York Road has become the modern Bagshot Street. The main artery is Alvey Street running northwest, not the Old Kent Road to the east. On the 1895 map a school has appeared in Surrey Square and King Road has become Kinglake Street. There is little change up to 1938.

By 1951 the big church on Aldridge Street has gone. The whole area is shown as Walworth, a name earlier applied to the small neighbourhood centred on the Walworth Road. Up to 1966 there was still a great deal of terraced housing. Not until the map of 1974-5 does the Aylesbury Estate appear to the west. Surrey Square Park is shown in 1995 where there had been a small group of houses.

The blocks in the Kinglake Estate take the names of places in Kent. They are, on the north side from the east: Swanley House, Hadlow House, Barham House, Bethersden House, Southborough House and Tenterden House. On the south side, from the east they are: Amery House, Keston House and Faversham House. It is remarkable that while the Aylesbury Estate, built 1963-1977, is undergoing regeneration for the next few years, these monumental post-war blocks are still standing and still occupied.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robin Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · East [16] · Kinglake Estate [12] · Bagshot Street [8] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
TQ3378, 254 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Robin Stott   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 5 April, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 8 April, 2016
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3325 7825 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:29.2505N 0:4.9330W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3322 7828
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 326 times
You are not logged in login | register