TQ3378 : Three blocks of the Kinglake Estate fronting Surrey Square Park, Walworth

taken 3 years ago, near to Bermondsey, Southwark, Great Britain

Three blocks of the Kinglake Estate fronting Surrey Square Park, Walworth
Three blocks of the Kinglake Estate fronting Surrey Square Park, Walworth
From the right, half of Southborough House, then the plain side of Bethesden House its stair towers and rubbish chutes are on the Kinglake Street frontage TQ3378 : Kinglake Street, Kinglake Estate, Walworth. Last is Barham House, mirror image of Southborough. There is an entry to the park at the far end of Barham House. The car parking is on Surrey Grove according to the sign TQ3378 : Surrey Square Park sign near Kinglake Street entrance, Walworth.
The Kinglake Estate, London SE17
The estate comprises nine brick-built blocks of flats on each side of Kinglake Street, east of the better-known Aylesbury Estate. Kinglake Estate first appears, complete, on an OS map of 1951, suggesting that it was begun during the late 1940s among the earliest post-war public housing in London.

A map of 1851 shows most of the local streets in place but not always with their modern names. A map of 1875 shows the area consisting of small terrace houses with rear yards or gardens. It is all Newington. York Road has become the modern Bagshot Street. The main artery is Alvey Street running northwest, not the Old Kent Road to the east. On the 1895 map a school has appeared in Surrey Square and King Road has become Kinglake Street. There is little change up to 1938.

By 1951 the big church on Aldridge Street has gone. The whole area is shown as Walworth, a name earlier applied to the small neighbourhood centred on the Walworth Road. Up to 1966 there was still a great deal of terraced housing. Not until the map of 1974-5 does the Aylesbury Estate appear to the west. Surrey Square Park is shown in 1995 where there had been a small group of houses.

The blocks in the Kinglake Estate take the names of places in Kent. They are, on the north side from the east: Swanley House, Hadlow House, Barham House, Bethersden House, Southborough House and Tenterden House. On the south side, from the east they are: Amery House, Keston House and Faversham House. It is remarkable that while the Aylesbury Estate, built 1963-1977, is undergoing regeneration for the next few years, these monumental post-war blocks are still standing and still occupied.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robin Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3378, 235 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 5 April, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 8 April, 2016
Geographical Context
Housing, Dwellings  Park and Public Gardens  City, Town centre  Flat landscapes 
Building Material (from Tags)
Brick 
Place (from Tags)
London 
Area (from Tags)
Walworth 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3331 7830 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:29.2766N 0:4.8800W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 3322 7830
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Post-War  Postcode Area SE17  Inner City Park  London Borough of Southwark  Local Authority Housing 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 93 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register