SK9401 : Church of St Mary the Virgin, South Luffenham

taken 3 years ago, near to South Luffenham, Rutland, Great Britain

Church of St Mary the Virgin, South Luffenham
Church of St Mary the Virgin, South Luffenham
The south aisle arcade, early 13th century Early English with plain circular capitals. The small arch to the left appears to have been created during the 19th century restoration. Previously the rood screen would have abutted the nave wall.
Church of St Mary the Virgin, South Luffenham
The church comprises an aisled nave with chancel, this having a chapel on the south side, west tower with spire and south porch.

It originated as a typical 12th century aisleless church with chancel. No trace of this remains, the earliest fabric being the arcade to the north aisle which was added c.1190-1200. This shows a mix of Norman and Transitional work. A south aisle was added in the first half of the 13th century in Early English style.

In the 14th century the church was completely remodelled, largely assuming the current layout. Both aisles were rebuilt, the south aisle being extended east, and a clerestory. The rebuilding also saw the addition of the tower and spire, and the south porch. The final medieval work in the 15th century included the raising of the chancel roof and insertion of new windows.

The tower is of three stages, with a single large opening in Decorated style in each face of the upper, bell chamber stage, topped with a battlemented parapet. This topped by a relatively narrow octagonal spire with crocketted ribs and three tiers of lucarnes in alternating faces.

There was an extensive refurbishment in 1861 under the direction of the eminent Victorian church architect, G E Street, but the only significant alteration was the insertion of a new east window in Decorated style.

Internally the main fitments of note are a 14th century table tomb in the chancel, a 14th century font, and an ancient oak parish chest. At the chancel arch are the remains of a 15th century rood screen, much cut down.

The church is Listed Grade II*. For a fuller description, see the Victoria County History of Rutland LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK9401, 72 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 11 April, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 16 April, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
13th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9412 0190 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:36.4043N 0:36.6941W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9412 0190
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior  Early English Style  Aisle Arcade  Grade II(star) Listed 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register