2016

SO0571 : Abbey-Cwm-Hir, Church of St Mary

taken 8 years ago, near to Abbeycwmhir, Powys, Wales

Abbey-Cwm-Hir, Church of St Mary
Abbey-Cwm-Hir, Church of St Mary
The current church was built in 1856 at the expense of Miss Mary Beatrice Philips, a sister to the Squire George Henry Philips of the adjacent Hall Link.
The current building, in Victorian Gothic revival style, replaced that built in 1680 by Sir William Fowler a little to the south, of which no trace remains. The earlier building which was dedicated to St Bridget incorporated carved stonework from the nearby Abbey none of which has been preserved in this church.
Cwm Poeth brook runs through the churchyard and into a culvert under the road, eventually emerging below Home Farm before joining Clywedog Brook. A stone bridge leads over Cwm Poeth from the churchyard to The Hall.

Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust Radnorshire churches survey LinkExternal link
Castles of Wales page LinkExternal link

The church, bridge and Abbey ruins are all listed Grade II*.


See other images of Church of St Mary, Abbeycwmhir

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
This photo is linked from: Articles: · Images shortlisted for POTY, 2016 Automatic Clusters: · Abbey-Cwm-Hir [23] · St Mary's Church [23] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SO0571, 216 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
David Dixon   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 12 April, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 17 April, 2016
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 054 713 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:19.9016N 3:23.3816W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 054 713
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 78 times
You are not logged in login | register