SN7376 : Prince of Wales at Devil's Bridge Station

taken 4 years ago, near to Devil's Bridge, Ceredigion/Sir Ceredigion, Great Britain

Prince of Wales at Devil's Bridge Station
Prince of Wales at Devil's Bridge Station
Vale of Rheidol Railway locomotive number 9 was built for GWR in 1924. It was named “Prince of Wales” in 1956 and currently carries a smart GWR Black livery with shirt button logo. Here, it is standing at the buffers at Devil’s Bridge Station, the railway's eastern terminus, a short walk from the Mynach Waterfalls.
The Vale of Rheidol Railway (Rheilffordd Cwm Rheidol)
The Vale of Rheidol Railway (Rheilffordd Cwm Rheidol) is a 1 ft 11 ¾ in narrow gauge heritage railway that runs for 11 ¾ miles between the coast at Aberystwyth and Devil's Bridge in the Cambrian Mountains.

The line opened in 1902 to carry lead ore, timber and passenger traffic. At the time of building, it was of the most up to date standard of narrow gauge construction, and passed through terrain where it would have been almost impossible to build a standard gauge line without prohibitive costs. The narrow track gauge allows the railway to follow the contours of the hillside with many sharp curves and steep gradients which add to the railway's charm.

At the height of the lines prosperity, in 1912, consideration was given to converting the line to electric traction, using hydro-electric power from the River Rheidol. However, control of the line passed to the Cambrian Railways in the same year and plans were shelved. Following the Great War, a decline in mine traffic was balanced somewhat by a growing tourist trade. In 1923 Cambrian Railways were themselves absorbed by the Great Western Railway and goods services were withdrawn completely, and the harbour branch at Aberystwyth closed. The winter passenger service was withdrawn in 1930, and the line closed completely from the end of the 1939 summer service for the duration of the Second World War. Ownership of the line passed to British Railways in 1948, and it survived through threats of closure to become the last sole steam-operated railway operated by British Rail; steam traction having ceased in 1968 on all other parts of the network.

The railway is now owned by a charitable trust. The locomotives and carriages currently in use were built for the line by the Great Western Railway between 1923 and 1938.

LinkExternal link Vale of Rheidol railway website
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SN7376, 272 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 13 April, 2016   (more nearby)
Monday, 18 April, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Railways 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G7 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SN 738 769 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:22.5616N 3:51.2488W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SN 738 769
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 58 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register