SK9200 : Church of St Mary, Morcott

taken 3 years ago, near to Morcott, Rutland, Great Britain

Church of St Mary, Morcott
Church of St Mary, Morcott
Detail of the south side of the chancel. The Norman priest's door survived various rebuildings. The window to its left is a 15th century insertion, the low sill allowing a view into the church during services for those such as lepers who could not be allowed into the church.
Church of St Mary, Morcott
Church of St Mary, Morcott
The church consists of aisled nave with chancel, west tower and south porch, the north aisle extending one bay alongside the chancel.

Like many neighbouring churches, it started as a simple Norman aisleless church of nave and chancel, with a west tower, but unlike most, it retains a high proportion of 12th century fabric. The tower dates from the early part of the 12th century, with a fine arch into the nave. Aisles were added later in the century, that on the north around 1150 in full Norman style, with the south aisle around 1200, in early Transitional style, still with round arches to the arcade. The carving of the north aisle capitals is particularly worthy of attention.

In the 13th century the chancel was extended, the chancel arch rebuilt and a chapel added on the north side as an extension to the aisle. 14th century work included the addition of the clerestory, the third stage (bell chamber) of the tower with its spire, replacement windows in the aisles and the south porch. The final medieval work included the windows in the side walls of the chancel.

The church was thoroughly restored in 1874, at which time the north aisle was widened, although the medieval windows were reused. the chancel chapel now housing the organ and a vestry. A new east window was inserted.

In the south aisle there is a table tomb of 1500, together with a piscina of probably earlier date. The pulpit is Jacobean, and there are some other timberwork items of older origin. The font is very plain and of indeterminate date.

The Norman work makes this a church well worth visiting and thoroughly justifies the Listed Grade I status. A more detailed description can be found in the Victoria County History LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK9200, 135 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 14 April, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 19 April, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Style (from Tags)
Norman  Perpendicular 
Period (from Tags)
12th Century  15th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9247 0078 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:35.8174N 0:38.1744W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 9247 0077
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Parish Church  Church Doorway  Church Window 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 8 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register