SJ8398 : Queen Victoria Jubilee Fountain in Albert Square

taken 3 years ago, near to Manchester, Great Britain

Queen Victoria Jubilee Fountain in Albert Square
Queen Victoria Jubilee Fountain in Albert Square
The grade II-listed fountain with the grade I-listed Town Hall in the background.
Jubilee Fountain in Albert Square
The Jubilee Fountain, in Albert Square, was designed to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897 and also to replace a temporary fountain commemorating the new supply of drinking water to Manchester from Thirlmere in the Lake District in 1894.

The three-basin fountain, in granite and sandstone, was designed by Thomas Worthington. The sculptor John Cassidy modelled the bronze gargoyle spouts and a bronze dolphin which decorated the top of the fountain. The fountain was first turned on by the Lord Mayor, Robert Gibson, in January 1898. Its cost was estimated at between £1000 and £1200.

In the 1920s the fountain was moved to Heaton Park where it stood on the south side of Heaton Hall and where, over the following 70 years, it fell into disrepair. However after being restored the fountain was returned to its original location between the statues of Bright and Fraser in Albert Square in 1997.

The fountain is Grade II-listed (English Heritage List entry Number: 1200811 LinkExternal link Historic England)
Manchester, Albert Square
The creation of Albert Square arose out of a project by Manchester Corporation's Monuments Committee to erect a memorial to Prince Albert who had died of typhoid in 1861. The area in which the square is situated was once derelict land and an area of dense housing near the Town Yard and the River Tib. The square, named after the Prince Consort, was laid out to provide a space for this memorial (SJ8398 : Manchester, Albert Memorial) in 1863–67. Work on the town hall, which now dominates the square, began in 1868 and was completed in 1877.

The centre of Albert Square was originally laid out in the form of a traffic circle and a group of bus stops occupied the western part. In 1987 the square was redesigned and the eastern side in front of the town hall was pedestrianised. The square was laid with fan-shaped granite setts, York stone paving and 'heritage'-style cast-iron street furniture.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8398, 2720 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 29 April, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 30 April, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Public buildings and spaces  City, Town centre  People, Events 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G7 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 838 981 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.7893N 2:14.7070W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 838 981
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 48 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register