2016

SO3164 : Chest tombs, Presteigne churchyard

taken 8 years ago, near to Presteigne, Powys, Wales

Chest tombs, Presteigne churchyard
Chest tombs, Presteigne churchyard
A fine group of 19th century tombs alongside the south aisle of the church.
Church of St Andrew, Presteigne

An impressive church, befitting a town which was an important local centre and later a county town where Assizes were held.

It consists of nave with north and south aisles, chancel with Lady Chapel on the south side as an extension of the south aisle and tower at the south western corner.

There are traces of pre-Conquest structure in the eastern part of the north aisle wall, this church being sacked and burnt in the 11th century by Gruffydd ap Llewellyn. A post-Conquest church was rebuilt on the same site incorporating the remains. This comprised the traditional aisleless nave and chancel. The first stage of expansion came in the 12th century when the nave was extended westwards to its present length and a separate tower built.

Major expansion occurred in the first half of the 13th century when the current nave was built, with north and south aisles. The north wall of the north aisle included the existing Norman nave wall, but the arcade was sited roughly down the middle. An extended chancel, aligned with the new nave, was built at the same time. The south aisle was built up to the tower.

The last major stage of construction occurred between roughly 1460 and 1520. This involved widening and raising the south aisle, the rebuilding of the chancel and the erection of a new Lady Chapel. The widening of the aisle effectively incorporated the tower into the body of the church.

Three periods of restoration, in 1854-5, 1889-91 and 1927-8 brought renewal of the fabric, but not substantive change to any of the medieval work. As usual much of the furnishing was renewed, including for example the chancel screen by Pearson in 1889-91.

There are a number of interesting wall monuments in the church, but pride of place has to go to the Flemish tapestry in the north aisle. This depicts the entry of Christ into Jerusalem and dates from around 1510. It was gifted to the church in 1737 by Richard Owen.

The church is Listed Grade I.


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Historic sites and artefacts City, Town centre Burial ground, Crematorium Period: 19th Century other tags: Churchyard Chest Tombs Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · South Aisle [8] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SO3164, 617 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Alan Murray-Rust   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 26 April, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 30 April, 2016
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 3157 6454 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:16.4840N 3:0.2606W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 3158 6453
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 55 times
You are not logged in login | register