NS3977 : Beside the River Leven

taken 4 years ago, near to Renton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

This is 1 of 3 images, with title Beside the River Leven in this square
Beside the River Leven
Beside the River Leven
The picture was taken from a point close to a NS3977 : Mound beside the River Leven.

An 1824 plan of the River Leven shows a wash-house somewhere near the area on the right, beside the bank of the River Leven. I could find no trace of a building here. Anglers refer to a part of the River Leven as the Washhouse Pool; if the name refers to this part of the river, then it is of some antiquity, commemorating a building that has been gone (but see below) for over 150 years.

(It is worth adding that there is a small ruin a little further downstream NS3977 : Ruined structure beside the River Leven which could possibly be the remains of the wash-house, but only if the wash-house has been mis-located on the 1824 plan; the discrepancy in position is not great, but is enough to introduce some doubt about whether the two buildings are the same. The structure that survives as a ruin was in existence in 1859, when the first-edition OS map was surveyed. That map shows it, but does not label it; it is therefore unclear what that building was.)

This area shown in the present picture is often overgrown (compare NS3977 : The River Leven from opposite Dalquhurn Point and NS3977 : The River Leven from opposite Dalquhurn Point), or very wet, or both. The present picture was taken after a long spell of dry weather, when the level of the river was low, and the ground was only moderately boggy.

A nearby part of the Leven is referred to as the Garden Stream, presumably referring to a nearby walled garden (NS3977 : Former site of walled garden of Strathleven House) that survived until much later, into the second half of the twentieth century. The wash-house and walled garden were part of the estate of Levenside House, later renamed NS3978 : Strathleven House.
River Leven (Dunbartonshire)
The River Leven (Uisge Leamhna in Gaelic) is a stretch of water in West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, flowing from Loch Lomond in the North to the River Clyde in the South. The total length of the river is approximately 6 miles.
Vale of Leven Industrial Estate :: NS3978
Of the very extensive lands that came to be associated with Strathleven House Link a portion was compulsorily purchased by the Board of Trade in 1947, and was developed by Scottish Industrial Estates Ltd in 1948 to form the Vale of Leven Industrial Estate. At the estate's inception, Westclox Ltd and Burroughs Adding Machines had factories here, but they are now gone. Polaroid, a later arrival, lasted until 2017. The estate is used by a number of smaller businesses, and there are some vehicle depots.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3977, 310 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 30 March, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 7 May, 2016
Geographical Context
Rivers, Streams, Drainage 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3958 7790 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:58.0334N 4:34.3085W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3964 7788
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 29 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register