SK8900 : Church of St Andrew, Glaston

taken 3 years ago, near to Glaston, Rutland, Great Britain

Church of St Andrew, Glaston
Church of St Andrew, Glaston
The north aisle arcade, looking west. The pier and respond, with waterleaf capitals, are from around 1200, Transitional, the arches being replaced later, in the 14th century. The small arch at the far end is the 14th century extension of the church to the west.
Church of St Andrew, Glaston
This is one of only two Norman period churches in Rutland with a central tower, the other being at Ketton. It would have consisted of aisleless nave, square-ended chancel and intermediate axial tower. Of this 12th century Norman church, only the base of the tower and some minor sections of walling survive.

The present church follows the same layout, with added north aisle and south porch. The north aisle represents the first stage of expansion, of around 1200. Of this period, only the columns of the arcade and the arch from the nave into the tower survive. Some 20 years later, the bell chamber stages of the tower and the spire were added, and the chancel was rebuilt completely.

Major expansion followed from around 1340. The aisle was widened and extended eastward to form a chapel on the north side of the tower, and expansion westwards of both aisle and nave. This work came to an abrupt end before completion, doubtless due to the Black Death, and it was not until 1370 that the work could be carried forward. At this stage the western end of the nave and aisle were completed, together with rebuilding of most of the south wall of the nave, including the clerestory. The chancel was also rebuilt, slightly wider than before. It may have been intended to build a new aisle arcade, but the actual work involved new pointed arches on the old piers, and an additional bay, shorter and lower, at the west end.

Bar the addition of a 19th century porch, this completed the major work, although new windows were inserted in the tower around 1600, and the nave roof was rebuilt between 1744 and 1750.

Furnishings are largely 19th century or later, although the pulpit and reading desk incorporate 15th century oak tracery, probably from a screen or bench ends. In the chancel there is a late 13th century coffin lid from the tomb of an early incumbent.

The church is Listed Grade II*.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK8900, 61 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 8 May, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 12 May, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
12th Century  14th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8962 0055 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:35.7220N 0:40.7019W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8964 0055
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Interior  Parish Church  Aisle Arcade  Grade II(star) Listed 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 10 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register