SK8306 : Church of All Saints, Braunston in Rutland

taken 3 years ago, near to Braunston-in-Rutland, Rutland, Great Britain

Church of All Saints, Braunston in Rutland
Church of All Saints, Braunston in Rutland
East window LinkExternal link , Kempe & Co trademark, the tower added to the wheatsheaf indicating that it post-dates the death of Charles Kempe himself in 1907.
Church of All Saints, Braunston in Rutland
The church has a straightforward plan of nave with north and south aisles, chancel with vestry to the north side, west tower and south porch.

The external appearance of the church is of the Perpendicular period, although there is earlier fabric inside. It appears to have begun life in the 12th century as simple nave and chancel, but the only remaining work of this period are the responds of the chancel arch. Around 1225-30 a south aisle was added and the chancel rebuilt to its present form. The north aisle was added in the early 14th century, the tower probably towards the end of the same. The clerestory was then added in the 15th century. Over this period new windows were inserted in the south aisle and chancel, the east end of which was possibly rebuilt. The porch was also added.

The tower is said to have been completely rebuilt in 1728-9, although following the original pattern. In the 19th century the vestry was added (1860) and a major restoration carried out (1887-90) although with little change to the stonework.

The large windows of the Perpendicular period give the interior of the church a very open character with plenty of light. The two arcades are superficially similar, but with circular columns to the earlier south arcade, and octagonal columns to the north. The timbers of the nave roof appear to be contemporary with the building of the clerestory in the 15th century. In the south aisle are substantial fragments of wall paintings dating from the 14th to 16th centuries. There is no old glass, but there are three windows in the chancel with fine glass from the firm of Kempe & Co dating from around 1918. The font is Norman, possibly dating from the foundation of the church.

The church is Listed Grade II*. More detailed information can be found on the British History Online websiteLinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK8306, 59 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 8 May, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 17 May, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Period (from Tags)
Early 20th Century 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8326 0659 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:39.0397N 0:46.2429W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8326 0659
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Church Window  Stained Glass Window  Church Detail 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 9 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register