2016

NY6820 : St Lawrence, Appleby: south chapel

taken 8 years ago, near to Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria, England

St Lawrence, Appleby: south chapel
St Lawrence, Appleby: south chapel
The chapel is obviously used for small worship services, as evidenced by the contemporary chairs and lectern.
St Lawrence's church, Appleby

The parish church of Appleby, in the Anglican Diocese of Carlisle, stands at the bottom of Boroughgate (the principal street of the town centre). The lower stage of the tower survives from the Norman period circa 1150, contemporary with the Castle at the top of Boroughgate. The south porch and most of the body of the church is C14/C15, in "decorated" style on the inside and "perpendicular" on the outside. The north chapel and chancel were rebuilt by Lady Anne Clifford in 1655. The building was restored again in 1861-2 and 1960. It is noted for Anne Clifford's tomb in the north side chapel, the organ of 1571 (formerly in Carlisle Cathedral), the C15 rood screen and a font of Frosterley limestone. The building and its curtilage are listed grade 1 (list entry 1312067).


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Religious sites other tags: Side Chapel Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
NY6820, 561 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Stephen Craven   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 16 May, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 21 May, 2016
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 6834 2043 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:34.6848N 2:29.4784W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NY 6833 2043
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 42 times
You are not logged in login | register