SJ9398 : Dragonfly and Vivien

taken 5 years ago, near to Ashton-Under-Lyne, Tameside, Great Britain

Dragonfly and Vivien
Dragonfly and Vivien
Dragonfly is moored at Portland Basin. Vivien has just entered the Ashton Canal from the Peak Forest Canal on the left and is turning to head towards Manchester. In the background is the Junction Mill Chimney.
Ashton Canal

The Ashton Canal runs eastwards from Manchester to Ashton under Lyne. It links the Huddersfield Narrow Canal and Peak Forest Canal with the Rochdale Canal and Bridgewater Canal and forms part of the "Cheshire Ring".

The original scheme was completed in 1796, running from a large basin behind what is now Piccadilly Station in Manchester, climbing gradually eastwards via 18 locks to Fairfield, Droylsden. From there one level section continued eastward to Whitelands Basin, Ashton under Lyne, while another arm headed north through what is now Daisy Nook, climbing another eight locks to Hollinwood, with a branch running east from Daisy Nook towards Park Bridge. A short arm from Portland Basin crossed the River Tame to Dukinfield. A year later an additional branch from Clayton to Stockport was opened.

The short link between Ashton Canal Basin at Piccadilly and the Rochdale Canal was not opened until 1800, when disputes about canal tolls and responsibility for paving the streets around the basins were resolved.

The Peak Forest Canal, opened in 1800, joined the Ashton Canal by way of the Dukinfield spur across the aqueduct over the Tame at Portland Basin.

The Hollinwood Branch Canal closed in sections between 1932 and 1961. The Stockport Branch Canal was closed in 1962.

History: LinkExternal link

Peak Forest Canal

The Peak Forest Canal runs for 15 miles between Ashton under Lyne and Whaley Bridge.

It was built to link the Ashton Canal with the tramways that brought limestone from the Peak District quarries.

The Lower Peak Forest Canal forms part of the "Cheshire Ring".

LinkExternal link Pennine Waterways website including a "virtual tour" of the canal
LinkExternal link and LinkExternal link for information on the history of the canal

Junction Mill Chimney

The octagonal chimney, 210 feet (64m) high with an unusual tulip-shaped top was built in 1867 to serve Samuel Heginbottom's cotton-spinning mill which operated from 1831 to 1930. The mill itself was eventually demolished and replaced in recent years with canalside apartments called "Boatmans Walk". In 2000 the chimney was bought by Tameside Council and restored.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ9398, 632 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 May, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 22 May, 2016
Geographical Context
Canals 
Canal (from Tags)
Ashton Canal  Peak Forest 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9345 9841 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.9421N 2:6.0102W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9351 9844
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Narrowboat  Former Mill Chimney 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 61 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register