TF0664 : Wall painting, All Saints' church, Nocton

taken 4 years ago, near to Nocton, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Wall painting, All Saints' church, Nocton
Wall painting, All Saints' church, Nocton
Moses parting (and restoring) The Red Sea, on the west wall of the church.
All Saints' church, Nocton


Grade II*listed

Nocton is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086, but there is no trace of the original Saxon church.
The next church built was dedicated to St Peter and located near Nocton Hall.
George Hobart, 3rd Earl of Buckinghamshire and his wife demolished the church and built a replacement which was consecrated in 1775. The younger son of the Hobarts, Henry became Vicar of Nocton in 1815 and was later promoted to Dean of Windsor.
By 1845 St Peter's was falling into disrepair. The owner of Nocton Hall, Frederick Robinson, Earl of Ripon, planned to rebuild it, but died before this could be done. His widow then intended to build the church as a memorial to her husband. Sir George Gilbert Scott designed the new church which was consecrated in 1862, and rededicated as All Saints.
The south aisle and south porch were added in 1872.

The church has a north west tower, nave, south aisle, chancel, vestry, and south porch.
The three-storey square tower has an octagonal bell chamber of six bells and octagonal spire 130 feet high. There is an entrance porch in the base of the tower.
The nave has a four-bay south aisle and clerestory. There is a large west window with wall paintings beneath. There are further paintings on the east wall of the nave, above the chancel arch. The nave roof is of a trefoil section with coloured beams, all richly painted.
The chancel has a encaustic tiles and further wall paintings with a marble and alabaster reredos and tall brass candlesticks.
The pulpit is of Ancaster and Redstone with green marble columns. The font is similar and set on a short octagonal base. There is also an old 14th century font from the original church.
On the south side of the chancel there is a memorial to Frederick Robinson, Earl of Ripon which consists of a marble effigy by Matthew Noble.
There is also a monument to Dean Henry Hobart and another to his brother Robert, Fourth Earl of Buckinghamshire.

There is a single manual organ by Holdich, and several stained-glass windows.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright J.Hannan-Briggs and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0664, 76 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Contributed by
Julian P Guffogg   (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 29 May, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 1 June, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Primary Subject of Photo
Wall Painting 
Church (from Tags)
All Saints 
Place (from Tags)
Nocton 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0607 6412 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:9.8187N 0:24.8946W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Wall Painting 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside  close look 
This page has been viewed about 45 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register