H8744 : The chancel of Armagh's Franciscan Friary

taken 5 years ago, near to Armagh and Millford, Northern Ireland

The chancel of Armagh's Franciscan Friary
The chancel of Armagh's Franciscan Friary
The friary was the longest monastic structure in medieval Ireland.
The Franciscan Friary, Armagh

Situated just inside the gates of the former Archbishop's Palace Demesne. Founded in 1264 by Archbishop Patrick O Scannail it was suppressed in 1542 with the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII. Some 20 years later, the Ulster king Shane O'Neill ("Shane the Proud") destroyed the structure to stop it being used by English Elizabethan forces.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Eric Jones and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
H8744, 137 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 1 June, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 11 June, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  Park and Public Gardens 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! H 876 447 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:20.6362N 6:39.1891W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! H 876 447
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 14 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register