SE2740 : St John's parish hall, Adel

taken 5 years ago, near to Tinshill, Leeds, Great Britain

St John's parish hall, Adel
St John's parish hall, Adel
The parish hall dates from c.1766 and was formerly the stables to the Rectory - a reminder of the days when clergymen had to serve a large parish on horseback. It is listed grade 2 (list entry 1256330). See also SE2740 : Old Stable Block - Back Church Lane.
St John's church and hall, Adel

Adel is one of the oldest parishes in what is now West Yorkshire. The spelling in the Domesday Book was 'Adele' meaning a muddy place, and by the 18th century 'Addle', as shown on maps up to the mid 19th century, and in fact that is still (as of 2016) the legal name of the parish.

The church of St John the Baptist is of Norman origin (c.1150-1170), with alterations in the 14th, 16th and 19th centuries, but still remains less altered than many churches of its age. It is grade 1 listed (list entry 1255610). There is evidence of an earlier Anglo-Saxon church on the site, and the area has been farmed since Roman or possibly even Bronze Age times.

The church curtilage includes several other listed buildings and structures including the old Rectory (now a private house), stables (now the parish hall), three listed tombs, a sundial and a mounting block.

For more details see the Historic England listing LinkExternal link and the conservation area appraisal LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Stephen Craven and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE2740, 132 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 21 July, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 14 August, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Date (from Tags)
1766 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 2755 4024 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:51.4596N 1:34.9578W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 2755 4026
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Parish Hall  Converted Stables  Grade II Listed 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 35 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register