TA0928 : Memorial, Holy Trinity church, Hull

taken 4 years ago, near to Kingston Upon Hull, Great Britain

Memorial, Holy Trinity church, Hull
Memorial, Holy Trinity church, Hull
Monument to Thomas Wincop who was master of Hull Charterhouse, assistant preacher in the church and died in 1624 aged 75. He left three sons and two daughters.

There is an inscription in Latin, which translated reads:
"Stop, traveller, whoever thou art, and look upon him, now dead, who, when alive, it were better for thee to imitate.
Thomas Wincop, an unparalleled example of diverse sorts of science, sound judgement, probity of life, indefatigable industry, charity, humanity and piety. A choice servant of God, a most dearly beloved divine, and one who worthily merited the love and remembrance of all good men: who, after he had served the most high, above the space of 74 years, diligently executing the offices of an honest man, a prudent citizen, and a vigilant pastor, at last (full of years and honour) he resigned his soul to God, waiting for the resurrection of the body: who, though now dead, yet liveth. All that remains. Go reader! As God's glory is now his reward, so his example thine."

The monument was restored and re-decorated in 1890.
Holy Trinity church, Hull (Hull Minster)

Grade I listed

Holy Trinity is England's largest parish church (by area), and was founded in 1285. It did not become a parish church until 1661. It became a Minster in 2017.
The church was restored in 1841 by H. F. Lockwood, and from 1859 to 1872 by G. G. Scott.

The church consists of a nave and chancel, both with aisles, transepts, crossing tower, south porch, south Chapel, and vestries. The nave has clerestory windows. It is cruciform in shape with short transepts. These were built first circa 1300, followed by the chancel, and nave some hundred years later. The tower dates from circa 1500.

The church is built in ashlar and brick (one of the earliest examples in England) with lead roofs. The original lead roofs were extremely thick and heavy, and had to be replaced as they were causing subsidence of the structure.
Externally, the church has buttresses, battlemented parapets and crocketted pinnacles, the nave having mostly five light windows, many of which have clear glass.

The crossing tower is of two stages and is topped with pinnacles, with an open work parapet. On each side there is a skeleton clock dial, the largest four faced church clock in Britain, with each face 4m in diameter. There are 15 bells.
The organ is in two cases located under the crossing tower.

The choir has five-bay arcades with a seven light east window by Clayton and Bell. The east end has a stone reredos from 1886, and the roof has painted panels and bosses.
To the south of the choir is the Broadly Chapel, formerly the De la Pole Chapel which is the only remaining Chantry Chapel of an original twelve in the church.

The nave has eight bay arcades with slender piers consisting of four round shafts with hollows between them. The clerestory has 16 triple lancets and there is a 19th-century west stained glass window of nine lights.
The interior of the church is very long at 285 feet.

In the early 19th century due to growing congregations a gallery was built across the west end. This was removed in the 1840s, when the pews with poppy heads were introduced. They have a range of carvings by local craftsman George Peck.

The font dates from circa 1380 with very fine carvings.

There are many memorials in the church dating from the late 14th century onwards including a brass from 1451. There is an effigy to Sir William de la Pole and his wife from the late 14th century.

The organ is by Forster and Andrews, incorporating pipes by Snezler. Unfortunately at the time of writing, it was in poor condition. (Mid 2016)

There are two south aisle stained glass windows designed by Walter Crane, good examples of early Arts & Crafts work.











Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TA0928, 5791 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 13 August, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 19 August, 2016
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Place (from Tags)
Kingston-Upon-Hull 
Church (from Tags)
Holy Trinity 
Primary Subject of Photo
Monument 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TA 0996 2855 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:44.5046N 0:20.0550W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Monument 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 38 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register