TQ4387 : The scullery in Valentines Mansion

taken 5 years ago, near to Ilford, Redbridge, Great Britain

The scullery in Valentines Mansion
The scullery in Valentines Mansion
The mansion is believed to have been originally built in 1696-7 for Elizabeth Tillotson and her family after the death of her husband, the Archbishop of Canterbury. She was a niece of Oliver Cromwell. At that time the new brick house stood in open countryside, several miles from the edge of London. In the 1720s City merchant and banker Robert Surman bought the estate and created the walled gardens, dovecote and grottoes. In the 1760s the new owner Sir Charles Raymond spent part of his fortune from the East India trade renovating Valentines, giving the house its Georgian appearance,

The southern part of what is now Valentines Park was declared officially open to the public "for ever" on 16th September 1899 when it was called Central Park. The grand opening was attended by 10,000 people. At this point Central Park extended to just 47 acres.

The last private resident of Valentines was Sarah Ingleby who died in 1906. The Council acquired the house in 1912 and added it to the rest of Central Park, at which time the name of the whole park was changed to Valentines Park. Since then the mansion has been a home to wartime refugees, a hospital, a public health centre and a Council housing department. After standing empty for 15 years, Valentines was opened to the public in 2009. It is Grade II* listed.

With further purchases the park was gradually extended to its present size of 136 acres and renamed in the early 20th century.
See LinkExternal link for more information.

The dairy wing was formerly an Orangery with tall glazed windows, built in the 1700s to grow highly prized exotic fruits as a symbol of wealth to visitors. Around 1809 the Orangery was turned into a scullery, pantry and dairy. This is the scullery where dish washing, laundry and food preparation like peeling vegetables were done.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Marathon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ4387, 78 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 24 August, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 25 August, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Public buildings and spaces 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 4327 8795 [10m precision]
WGS84: 51:34.3333N 0:3.9567E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 4328 8794
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Scullery 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): inside 
This page has been viewed about 37 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register