SK4663 : Hardwick Hall Stable Block

taken 6 years ago, near to Rowthorne, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Hardwick Hall Stable Block
Hardwick Hall Stable Block
The range of 17th and 19th century outbuildings and stables at Hardwick Hall is Grade II*-listed (Historic England List Entry Number: 1051634 LinkExternal link Heritage Gateway).
Hardwick Hall

Hardwick Hall is one of the most magnificent Elizabethan country houses in England. The house was built between 1590 and 1597 for the Bess of Hardwick (c1527-1608) and was designed by the architect Robert Smythson (1535–1614). Bess married four times, she married her fourth husband, George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, in 1567; the marriage proved to be troubled and quarrelsome. Soon after his death in 1590, work commenced on the building Hardwick Hall. After four marriages and outliving her husbands, Bess of Hardwick became one of the richest people in England. With the impressive windows, Hardwick Hall was very much a demonstration of wealth and the phrase "Hardwick Hall, more glass than wall" became well-known. The largest windows were for the state rooms on the upper floor, these rooms are very large and very impressive with their walls draped with numerous tapestries.

Bess of Hardwick lived in the house for the last ten years of her life until she died in the cold February of 1608. Unlike other Elizabeth houses Hardwick Hall remained largely unaltered as Bess of Hardwick’s descends; the Cavendishs from her second marriage to William Cavendish lived elsewhere and in particular at nearby Chatsworth House. This had also been owned by Bess, however this original Elizabeth house was subsequently rebuilt to be become the grand house we know today. The last occupant of Hardwick Hall was Lady Evelyn Cavendish, the widow of the 9th Duke who had died in 1938; Lady Evelyn died in 1959. Her son, the 10th Duke died suddenly in 1950, whilst chopping wood. To help pay the 80% death duties Hardwick Hall was given to the state. Ownership of the house was transferred to the National Trust in 1959.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK4663, 419 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 7 September, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 13 September, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Country estates 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G7 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 462 634 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:9.9807N 1:18.5608W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 462 635
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 87 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register